In case you missed the update, Charles and I recently moved from our apartment of 3 years into a smaller 600 sq. ft. apartment so we can start our 3-4 year plan of saving for a down payment. Hashtag adulting.
We are slowly and surely settling in but before I get into how everything is manifesting, I thought it might be fun to start at the beginning and give you a “blank slate” tour of our new #blackandyellowhome.
Here is a little comparison of what we gained and loss by moving into our smaller apartment.
– Old Place: Town Of Vienna New Place: City of Arlington (it’s inside the 495 loop,a good 10 minutes closer to DC)
– Old Place: Right across the street from a metro station New Place: 25 minute walk/5 minute bus ride to and from the nearest metro station
– Old Place: Central A/C and washer & dryer in the apartment New Place: A/C unit in the window and the washer & dryer are in the basement
– Old Place: Carpet floors and only two windows New Place: wood floors and 7 windows
– Old Place: Amenities – gym, pool, basketball court, computer room New Place: Zero amenities, zilch.
– Old Place: 800 sq. ft. New Place: 600 sq. ft.
– Old Place: $1550 a month New Place: $1150 a month
The main thing from the list above that made us almost decide not go with this apartment was the fact that the laundry was in the basement – we were really hoping for laundry in the unit or, at least, on the same floor but alas… No go. Sometimes you gotta take a couple steps back in order to make a big leap forward.
With that said, let’s get to the tour!
^^ Living Room
^^ Dining Area
This space leads into our super tiny kitchen. Also, the a/c window unit is a bit of an eyesore – we’re trying to figure out how to cover it without interrupting airflow… If you have any suggestions, let me know in the comments below pretty please.
^^ Kitchen (left side)
Funny little thing about our fridge is that in order to open the door, we have to step back and out of the kitchen since the aisle isn’t big enough for us to stay in the kitchen haha.
^^ Kitchen (right side)
^^ Hallway w/ Two Closets
which leads us to…
^^ The Bedroom
And that’s that. A short and sweet first look at our new place! It may not have everything we want but it has everything we need and at the end of the day, that’s all that matters.
Be on the lookout for more #blackandyellowhome updates coming soon! xo