Long overdue but better late than never… Your girl is finally beginning the process of recapping last summer’s trip to Maine!
Today, I’m sharing a few postcards from Clearwater Lake, the setting for my family reunion where I was able to finally introduce Charles to my paternal grandma’s side of the family. Clearwater is a spring-fed lake aptly named because the water is so clear that even if you go out to deepest parts, you can still see all the way to the bottom.
A few times during our week in Maine, Charles, my brother, sister and I stopped by Clearwater for a swim. Each visit was a different experience as some days were overcast and foggy while other days were bright and sunny. It’s crazy how the change of weather can completely transform the mood of the lake.
^^ Our cousin, Austin, sailing the canoe around the lake. Definitely a photo I want to get framed :)
While in Maine, Charles and I debated over the pro and cons of beach life vs. lake life…
What with our long history of traveling to the Caribbean, we both share a love for beach life. However, I’ve always held a special place in my heart for Maine’s lake lifestyle, a lifestyle that Charles was introduced to for the first time ever during our visit.
The list of pros & cons looked a little something like this:
– consistent warm and sunny weather
– crashing waves
– endless views of the horizon
– sand in the crotch
– sand bugs
– salt water (stings my eyes)
– fresh and calm water (so I can actually open my eyes underwater)
– no possibility of sharks whatsoever
– access of water from our cousins’ camp was within a couple steps
– standing water that is a little cooler in temps (I didn’t see this as a con, to be clear)
– no lifeguards
– little spiders that can swim/float on top of the water -> Charles was a little (lotta) freaked out when one eight-legged friend decided to swim alongside him (imagine lots of yelling and water splashing everywhere haha).
By the end of our visit, Charles admitted that while he will always love beach life, he would make a special exception for lake life… In Maine only.
And being the great wife I am, I stopped myself from saying “I told you so” even though both he and I were very aware of the fact that I had told him prior to our trip that Maine would make him a lake life believer haha.
Just another one of the situations where you gotta let the Hubs learn for himself that you will never steer him wrong…
Are you team “lake life” or “beach life”?
(linking up with travel tuesday)0