Curious to know about what’s been going on with life behind the scenes while I’ve been recapping our Caribbean cruise trip? Here’s a quick list of the life happening moments that took place in September.
1) Charles got really sick with strep throat and our truck broke down on our way back home from urgent care at four in the morning. The following week, I came down with the flu and then just last week, Charles hurt his foot and was given a boot to wear. Pretty much everything, including ourselves, was breaking down in September lol.
2) The first month of Fall semester came and went. I put myself on a pretty strict schedule for how I’m using my time to help me stay on top of everything I’m juggling annnd so far so good. The fact that I made it through the month and was able to publish 1-2 blog posts each week is also a major win.
3) I couldn’t resist snapping this pic of Charles while we were on the bus bound for NYC to attend my friend’s wedding. The man can fall asleep within 2 minutes flat no matter where we are or what we’re doing lol. We had just left the city boundaries of D.C. and had been on the bus for less than 30 minutes when I snapped this pic. A recap of our 24 hours in NYC to come sooon!
4) Charles and I have one more trip coming up in December which means we’ve been laying low and doing alot of cooking at home to help save money because unfortunately, our travels don’t pay for themselves. Basically, we haven’t been eating out and have been on a roll with bringing lunch to work from home everyday. It might not seem like much but we’ve been able to save about $50 a week by not eating out which equates to about $200 a month which will then equate to us saving a total of about $800 by December = 2 round-trip flights paid for in full.
5) I FINALLY got a library card + no more buying books for the rest of this year = another way I’m saving money this year.
6) I volunteered to help out at an arts fundraiser. I was assigned to the auction room and was responsible with helping patrons place bids on the items/experiences they wanted. The goal for the auction was to raise $50,000. The event raised $45, 320 in total which was awesome and very close to the goal. Support the arts!
7) We bought pillows for our new/ used couch (Thanks again Tarek!). Might not seem like a big deal but it is considering the fact we’ve been living in our apartment for 2 years and still haven’t decorated the place to make it feel like a home. Heck, we don’t have anything on the walls either. Well… There is a clock on the wall but it doesn’t work so it doesn’t count lol. As crazy as it sounds, buying pillows was a big step for us. We came across the two pillows in the photo above at Bed Bath & Beyond and were immediately drawn to them for obvious reasons (hashtag island vibes). Next, we want to get an area rug and then we’re going to tackle the walls and hang some photos up… maybe.
8) I’ve been enjoying sunsets while on the go. Before we know it and it will be time to move our clocks one hour forward and I won’t be able to watch the sun go down since it will be dark by the time I leave work. Make the most of the waning daylight, my friends!
9) I finally found an asian market around where I live that sells dragonfruit! When Charles and I were in Barcelona last year, we went to La Boqueria and I had the most most refreshing squeezed dragonfruit juice while there. Since then, I’ve been on the lookout for dragonfruit and am soooo happy I finally found it! Nomnomnom!
10) You may have already seen the news from Instagram but my mom made a surprise visit from Chicago down to Virginia for a weekend! Charles and I seriously had no idea what she was up to until she called us and asked to hang out… You can imagine my confusion when I asked, “Hang out? What do you mean hang out?” Of course, she casually answered, “I’m in the area. Let’s grab dinner.” It took a couple seconds to register but once I finally understood what she was trying to say, I was sooooo excited. An hour later, we scooped her up from the nearby hotel and grabbed dinner at our new favorite Thai restaurant in Tysons Corner, Neisha Thai. Following dinner, we went back to her hotel and watched the Emmys… You know, real casual. I hate to admite it but my mom did a really great job of “paying us back” from that one time we surprised her for Mother’s Day this past May.
Annnnnd that’s September in a nutshell. I’ve got one last post to share with you from our Caribbean cruise trip next week which is pretty awesome because once that’s done, I’ll be able to finally dive into recapping our Maine adventures this month! Hellooooo October! Let’s git ‘er done.
How was the month of September for you? Feel free to share your life happenings in the comments below :)